Byrd launches New Cinema Series for Classic Movie Lovers during ArtoberVA
RICHMOND, Va., September 28, 2016 – Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Kelly, Paul Newman, and Bing Crosby will be back on the Big Screen at the Byrd Theatre, part of a new monthly cinema series beginning next week.
The Byrd continues expanding regular programming with Big Screen Classics. Classic movie fans will have two opportunities a month to enjoy movies that are best seen on the Byrd’s big screen. First Wednesdays at 7:15 pm will feature more eclectic titles — Cinema for Cinephiles; and third Sundays will host broader appeal Hollywood Favorites at 2 pm. Tickets are $4.99.
“This new cinema series represents another exciting step in furthering our mission to expand the big screen experience, celebrate the art of cinema and preserve Virginia’s grand motion picture palace,” said Gibson Worsham, Byrd Theatre Foundation President.
Hitchcock leads the series opening, with Vertigo, screening next Wednesday, October 5 at 7:15 pm, and Rear Window shown on Sunday, October 16 at 2 pm. The rest of the lineup includes: The Big Sleep (11/2 @ 7:15 pm), Singin’ in the Rain (11/27 @ 2 pm), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (12/7 @ 7:15 pm), and White Christmas (12/18 @ 2pm).
The Byrd is introducing new programming in celebration of artoberVA, a month long celebration of art and culture during October in honor of National Arts and Humanities Month, hosted by CultureWorks and their sponsors.
“This series will both broaden appreciation and extend preservation of cinema as an artform. And artoberVA was the perfect time to introduce it to the community,” said Grant Mizell, Foundation Programming Chair.
This Saturday, artoberVA at the Byrd kicks off with The Wiz at 10 am, part of the theatre’s weekly Family Classics.
The full October lineup of Special Events includes:
- Sat, 10/1 @10a: The Wiz
- Sun, 10/2 @2p: VCUarts Cinema First Cut Screenings
- Wed, 10/5 @715p: Vertigo
- Sat, 10/8 @2p: Despicable Me, VCU CARES Clinic Fundraiser
- Thu, 10/13 @7p: The VCU Brandcenter presents: AICP 2016
- Sat, 10/15 @2p: Sensory-Friendly Screening
- Sun, 10/16 @2p: Rear Window
- Sun, 10/16 @7p: Ran, VA Shakespeare Initiative, hosted by the Byrd Theatre and Quill Theatre
- Tue, 10/18 @7p: The Byrd & WCVE present Hamilton’s America Preview Screening & Celebration
- Sat, 10/22 @10a: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
- Fri, 10/28 @830a: TEDxRVAWomen
- Fri, 10/28 @730p: Phantom Of The Opera (1925) with Michael Britt at The Mighty Wurlitzer
- Sat, 10/29 @10a: Casper (1995)
- Sat, 10/29 @10a: Scarytown, trick-or-treating in Carytown!
- Sun, 10/30 @2p: Young Frankenstein, Leukemia/Lymphoma Society Fundraiser
Schedule subject to change. Always check http://byrdtheatre.com/ for updated showtimes and pricing information.
In 2007, the Byrd Theatre Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization, was formed to purchase, preserve, and maintain the historic Byrd Theatre, which opened in 1928. The Foundation is executing a revitalization plan to achieve the vision of elevating the Byrd’s landmark position among American theaters as a center for film that continues to provide the broadest possible public access to exceptional cinematic experiences.
# # #